Keywords are the basic building blocks of SEO. Keywords are what people use to search on search engines, what search engines match with the content on a business site and what businesses should keenly observe and customize their content so as to rank high on search results.
The importance of keywords in SEO can never be overstated and even more is the importance of impeccable research. 7 points to keep in mind before you set forth on this journey.
- Business Objective-
Keyword research can get very tricky depending on the business type and the idea being marketed on search engines.
So if an ecommerce of apparels, is rebranding or e positioning its product to premium quality, or introducing a new line of products, the choice of keywords will matter a significantly
- Aim to have a better mix of keywords than a long list. By mix I mean diversification. The top 5-10 keywords that your are aiming to optimize your site for should be as assorted as possible.
- It should include keywords with different levels of competition, varying monthly search volume by web users etc.
- It should also include keywords broadly related to industry and specific to the niche value proposition of the individual business.
- Keywords should also cater to intent of search which could be – navigational(go or land on a page), transactional (do something) and informational(know something. )
So the purpose of the search behind the words will not just create
- Location specific to capture local searchers. For example a Therapeutic massage salon will always have customers that are looking for location services
- Use Synonyms for an extended set of keyword – The top list of 10 keywords are actually definite ideas or category of keyword you want . The research is not complete without variations using synonyms .
Google Search engines , uses synonyms to identify, associate and relate the meaning of keywords. So prepare a list of at least 30 keywords , derived from the top 5-10. Make sure to use this in your content for best results.
- Keyword research could be disruptive . It could lead you to conceptually redefine your product or service line. This is because when you are researching keywords, you are not only finding words that people search but also their intent.
So for eg: the intent of user searching for photography is educational while the users searching for photographers in a location is perhaps wanting to buy a service. So every time you put yourselves in place of a potential customer- you will discover new ways , terms and uses for your service. So be open to accept or at least critically analyze these ideas during your research.
- Keyword research is not one time thing- it siscyclical, progressive and ever evolving ( with time). Certain keywords could be seasonal while others could be too early to optimize your website with.
So pumpkin flavors is not that great keyword for cake shops during winter or summer and Google analytics was not a great keyword for web analytics service providers 10 years back when its was just launch and hardly known.
- A keyword research should precede content development. Not that content cannot be changed later, but this research is worth nothing without a befitting content.
So its always advisable to complete this exercise before you design your website . As we all know keyword is used not only in the main body of a page, but should also be found – in H1- headings, page titles, page descriptions, URI, alt texts and tags of images etc. This gives a unified approach to increasing relevance – which is one of the two ideas behind SEO campaigns.
The other is importance.
- The best person to do keyword research for your business is you as no body knows your business better. Even if you entrust another agency, make sure you review keywords carefully . Make sure they are tied to the business objectives .
More coming on DIY guide to SEO and keyword research, SEO check list and requirement or your expectations from SEO vendor.